Thursday, April 8, 2010

What makes it all worthwhile

The first issue of Mythprint with my hand at the editorial tiller sailed out to subscribers about a week ago. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Much of this has come from subscribers I know personally (at least online), but a few days ago, I got an email from a Mythprint reader I have never met. It was so kind and so meaningful to me that (with his permission) I wanted to share it with my Lingwë readers.
Hello Jason Fisher —

My name is Philip Rose and I teach math and computer science at Carroll College here in Helena, Montana. I’ve been a subscriber to Mythlore and Mythprint for … I don’t know how many years, but many. I’m 68 and I can’t remember not being a member of the Mythopoeic Society.

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to tell you how much I enjoyed the latest issue (electronic); Vol. 47 No. 3; Whole No. 332. In both layout and content it is certainly one of the best issues I’ve ever seen. You have some excellent goals and the background to bring them to fruition. My own favorite parts of Mythprint are the book reviews; over the years I’ve found a number of books that I wouldn’t have known of if not for the reviews.

Best wishes for all success in your position as the new editor. You are certainly off to a good start. I look forward to future issues of Mythprint.

Best wishes always,
Philip B. Rose
In the currency of compliments, this is the kind of thing that makes a demanding volunteer position like this worth everything it pays.

12 comments:

  1. As the equally volunteer author of one of those reviews, which I wrote specifically to bring a worthy but potentially obscure book to attention (and worthy-but-potentially-obscure could be said of the other books reviewed this issue, both of which I've read, and reviewed elsewhere), I also appreciate the compliment, and I share the appreciation of your editorial effort and industry, a topic I also know a little about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason and congrats on heading up Mythprint!

    Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The FishWife4/10/2010 3:11 PM

    You deserve every kind word, compliment, and postive feedback for this and all your issues to come. The MythSoc world has only just begun to breathe your fresh air; your Renaissance Man talents; and the changes I know you're meant to bring into this world (micro *and* macro.)

    Your biggest fan always, The FishWife :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin Simonson4/12/2010 10:35 AM

    This sure is an appetizer. Make sure the issue comes through to me, as a freshman I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and especially to my FishWife for all her support. This passion of mine takes time, and she sacrifices a lot in order to give me the freedom to pursue it. If you guys appreciate the work I do, then send some of that gratitude to my wonderful wife for helping to make it possible. Thank you for everything, sweetheart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The FishWife4/13/2010 12:39 AM

    You're welcome. Of course, I do these things for my love of you and as your best friend. Outside of that, I want to see you fly and reach the highest of heights. It's where you belong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wife you have, Jason! Lucky, lucky you!

    Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You said it, Anne Marie. Lucky, lucky me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The FishWife4/15/2010 12:06 AM

    Anne Marie, I'm your newest and biggest fan! You have no idea how long I've waited to hear someone tell Jason that he's lucky to have me. For almost 15 years I've always heard how lucky I am; don't get me wrong, I'm very lucky to have Jason. No negatives allowed from the past, but you have no idea just how grateful to you I am. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear FishWife, you are quite welcome. :) If only we could all someone like you to support us to "fly and reach the highest of heights." When I read that, I was like how wonderful is that! It was quite moving actually.

    Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The FishWife5/04/2010 3:32 PM

    Thank you so very much, Anne Marie. I'm truly grateful for your very kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete