Thursday, April 22, 2010

Another of my reviews goes online

The second this week! I’ve owed Jeremy Edmonds of The Tolkien Collector’s Guide a review of Black & White Ogre Country for an embarrassingly long time. I have finally made good on that promise, and the review is available online now. Follow this link to read it.

For those unfamiliar with this book, it’s a small collection of short stories by J.R.R. Tolkien’s younger brother, Hilary, along with supplementary information, both biographical and contextual. The book is beautifully illustrated by Jef Murray and quite delightful. For Ronald’s fans, there is a reproduction and transcription of part of a previously unpublished letter in which Tolkien refers to the celebration of Guy Fawkes Night. In it, one will notice the conspicuous use of some distinctly Tolkienian vernacular.

2 comments:

  1. Have you done a review of Tolkien and the Great War, Jason? Or know where I can find one? I'm currently reading the book, but I wanted to get a feel for it's reception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t reviewed John Garth’s book myself, no, but I think he has some of the reviews of it up on his own website. Take a look there (for some reason, it’s not loading into my browser at the moment). In a nutshell, though, I can tell you that the reception has been overwhelmingly positive — and quite deservedly so!

    ReplyDelete