Friday, October 26, 2007

Evanesco! I said, Evanesco!!

I first read this yesterday, but today I came across another version of the story with a better headline: “Harry Potter fan turned in to a road cone head”— and it had pictures! The little Harry Potter fan pictured to the right is pretty adorable, isn’t he? And in the wake of the Dumbledore story, about which I hope to weigh in soon (I think), isn’t it refreshing to see something so cute and light?

Apparently, three-year-old Charlie Thomas put the bright orange traffic cone on his head because it looked like a wizard’s hat. Then, when it wouldn’t come off, I read that he tried a vanishing spell. Industrious little chap! Unfortunately, that didn’t work either. Maybe because he didn’t have a wand. Eventually, the family had to call in reinforcements.

What I don’t get is how it could have taken six firemen to get the traffic cone off his head. I could see two or three: one or two holding onto Charlie, while one pulled on the cone. But six? What were they all doing?!

And by the way, little Charlie’s shirt has some pretty good advice on it. But as he’s only three, he probably couldn’t read it. ;)

5 comments:

  1. LOL! What a great story!

    How did a three-year-old know the Latin for a vanishing spell? Audio books, no doubt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *GASP!* Witchcraft!!! Call a priest!!!

    You opened the door to a joke, Jase..."How many firemen does it take to get a traffic cone off a kid's head?" HA!!!

    1 to hold the kid, 2 to pull the cone, 1 to stand by with a paramedic kit, 1 to watch the truck, and 1 to hold the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, Cat Bastet and PJ (and nice joke, too!). You know, Cat, your comment makes me wonder whether Rowling will be credited at some point in the future with revitalizing an interest in Latin among schoolkids. I studied Latin myself, as Rowling did, but I think it’s been getting less and less popular — until now perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Cat, your comment makes me wonder whether Rowling will be credited at some point in the future with revitalizing an interest in Latin among schoolkids.

    She already is. I remember reading an article about British kids complaining to their parents that they weren't being sent to boarding school or learning Latin. LOL. If I can find it, I'll send it along.

    How many firemen? At least two to point, laugh, and take pictures... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading an article about British kids complaining to their parents that they weren't being sent to boarding school or learning Latin. LOL.

    That’s great! Although I wonder if they’ll be quite so chuffed about studying Latin when they learn you can’t really use it to clean up your room for you or to put the full body bind on your little brother. ;)

    Jinxes, hexes, and charms? No, it’s more like genitives, ablatives, and datives!

    ReplyDelete