Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Weasleys’ Magic Clock can be yours — sort of

This is fun. Microsoft Researchers in Cambridge (appropriately enough) have developed a technology-based answer to the Weasleys’ Magic Clock — you remember, the one with a hand that indicates the location of each member of the family. Microsoft’s version, which they call the Whereabouts Clock, was clearly inspired by Rowling’s — which is pretty incredible in an of itself. From one of their documents:
The idea of a clock displaying location rather than time, of course, is not new. In the Harry Potter books, the Weasley family has a magic clock with hands for each member of the family indicating their location or state. Our initial design for the home uses icons rather than mechanical hands, and displays only four categories of location [...] We also rely on technology rather than wizardry to make the clock work!
How about that! Where most technology solutions of this sort plot the location of friends and family on maps or cell phones, Microsoft’s new test product shows just how far-reaching J.K. Rowling’s influence on popular culture has become.

Now, if only the Microsoft Whereabouts Clock had a setting for mortal peril like the Weasleys’ Clock!

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Jason, thanks for visiting my blog - glad you did as it's brought me to YOURS!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to say... I've suffered, in the past, from spammers getting onto my blog and so I now use word verification before people can comment - you really ought to consider this safeguard.

    Meanwhile, you've some fascinating stuff blogged! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Brian, that’s much appreciated, especially from someone of your reputation in the Inklings community. We have a lot in common with respect to our shared interest in Tolkien and Lewis, I expect. I’m glad I stumbled onto your blog today as well.

    Regarding word verification, yes, I expect I’ll have to implement that protection eventually; however, I’m putting off the hassle (to would be commenters) as long as I can. So far, six months on, I haven’t yet been discovered by the spambots. We’ll see how long it takes them! And at the first sign, I’ll pull the trigger on the countermeasures, hahae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fair enough... I was done within WEEKS and only found out when a friend asked why I was posting sex-ads on my blog!!

    So, keep an eye open!

    It's always good to find new friends who share your interests - or even your passions - it makes one feel less of an eccentric or nerd than one probably is!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair enough... I was done within WEEKS and only found out when a friend asked why I was posting sex-ads on my blog!! So, keep an eye open!

    Sound advice, and I will!

    It's always good to find new friends who share your interests - or even your passions - it makes one feel less of an eccentric or nerd than one probably is!!

    I couldn’t agree more! I suppose when the nerds and eccentrics outnumber the “normal” people, it will be time to redefine normality. :)

    ReplyDelete